The Language Resource and Writing Center (LRWC) is a cooperative program between LSTC and McCormick Theological Seminary to support students whose first language is not English. We help students develop skills through reading/writing and listening/speaking instruction. We also seek to provide a rich global and theological context to help ensure that what LSTC international students experience is relevant for their future ministry.
Individual peer tutoring is one critical way the LRWC both helps seminary students improve their communication skills and advances cross-cultural learning. Tutors work with students to improve their conversation, reading, and writing skills. The length and number of tutoring sessions depend upon the needs of the particular student.
Other LRWC student resources include:
- Computer word processing (WordPerfect and Microsoft Word)
- Computer reference materials (Bible Windows and other Bible language materials)
- Reference Library (commentaries, dictionaries, and writing guides)
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) materials
- Language audiotapes
LRWC offers classes and workshops to help students improve their language and critical thinking skills. These include:
- The Summer Language Institute, an intensive English as Second Language program
- A Study Methods for Theological Education course to help develop critical and efficient reading and writing strategies
As well as listening and speaking classes, writing classes, and a seminar in writing for graduate students.
During the school year, LRWC hosts Global Conversations on Mondays at noon, led by a student, faculty member or guest on a topic that is global and of concern to our local community.
The LRWC provides opportunities for people from the various seminary communities to gather together to share in cross-cultural dialogue and social activities such as movies, trips to area museums, and community meals.
Questions? Contact Rob Worley, Director of the Language Resource and Writing Center at 773.256.0707 or firstname.lastname@example.org.