On Friday, January 28 and Saturday, January 29, the Lutheran School of Theology (LSTC) and the American Islamic College (AIC) are partnering together to offer the "Faith Over Fear" training, a training of the Shoulder to Shoulder Campaign. This training is for faith leaders in Chicago, and aims to reduce and to counter anti-Muslim bias, discrimination, and violence in the U.S. Persons from the Institute of Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU), Re-Think Media, American Islamic College, and many national congregational leaders will lead this workshop.
During the training, participants will be offered the opportunity to:
- improve skills and confidence to speak against anti-Muslim rhetoric/discrimination
- build stronger local multi-religious networks
- understand and contextualize Islamophobia (recognize the complexity of the issue)
- explore how negative speech resonates and develop messaging recommendations and communications tips
- examine practical ideas and tactics for moving people towards engagement and change
The training will take place both days between 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. This training will be conducted online only.
LSTC and AIC students may register to participate at no cost. All other participants are asked to provide a minimum $20 donation due at registration (see below). Registration closes January 26.