Whether you want to keep up with current trends in theology and mission, are looking for a speaker for an adult forum, would like to attend a workshop or take an online or week-long intensive class, are ready to enroll in a doctor of ministry program, or need stewardship resources for your congregation, you can find it at LSTC.
In recent years, the Guild has focused on service to the International Student Community. The Guild:
- supports The Duty Free Shop, an exchange of secondhand clothing and housewares available for free to students and their families
- provides funds for winter clothing, medical kits, and household items
- appeals to churches for help meeting immediate student needs identified by the International Student Coordinator
- funds summer vacation retreats for international students and their families at the Lutheran Outdoor Ministries Center in Oregon, Ill.
LSTC plays a crucial role in preparing leaders for the world church.
- In 2014-15, 45 international students representing 16 countries and 21 faith communities studied at LSTC
- Most of LSTC’s international students leave established careers in their home countries to pursue advanced training, enabling them to serve their churches in new ways.
- Many international LSTC graduates now serve in pivotal roles in their home churches: as seminary professors or presidents, bishops, leaders of regional church bodies, or leaders in organizations like the Lutheran World Federation and the World Council of Churches.
International students face challenges
Funding sources for international students have decreased dramatically in recent years. Visa restrictions prohibit students and their spouses from holding jobs while they are in the U.S., except for jobs at LSTC itself.
The cost of living--even modestly--in Chicago is very high compared with the students’ home countries. The cost of health insurance is an additional burden.
Your gifts to the Guild help international students at LSTC
You are invited to join the Guild and our efforts to increase the quality of life for LSTC’s international students and their families. Guild projects are made possible entirely through gifts from individuals and congregations.
--$100 will provide winter coats for an international student family.
--$200 will provide the basic necessities to furnish a student apartment.
--$300 will furnish a student apartment and fill the refrigerator to welcome a new family.