The Public Church Scholars five-year degree pathway prepares students to be intentional leaders of a multiracial, multiethnic, public church. In this educational pathway, students will take a deep dive together in Christian community to explore theological education, leadership formation, experiential learning in an internship, and preparation to be public leaders in the church.
Students in this pathway will complete two (2) degrees in five (5) years: a Bachelor of Arts in Theology and Public Leadership from Augsburg University and a Master of Divinity from the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago.
Some unique elements of the Public Church Scholars pathway include:
- Co-curricular formation including a supportive cohort of peers
- Training in equity and inclusion, cultural competency, and vocational discernment
- Spiritual direction practice (individual and group)
- Life coaching and professional mentors
- Accompaniment through the candidacy process for ordination
- Completion of Clinical Pastoral Education
- Paid four-year part-time paid contextual learning and internship in a congregation or faith-based non-profit
At Augsburg University, Public Church Scholars learn to practice and lead accompaniment, interpretation, discernment, and proclamation and this framework supports their preparation to be pastors and leaders in the church. This work is enhanced and deepened at seminary by LSTC’s commitment to Public Church that cultivates competencies for leadership that focuses on community engagement, public witness, and social transformation. This holistic approach to theological education breaks academic disciplines out of their silos and allows creative collaboration to flourish.
Application instructions for this pathway, alongside further information about the program structure and contact information for the program, can be found on the Augsburg University Department of Religion page and in this dual-degree program flier. You may also contact a member of the LSTC Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773.256.0727 with any questions.