Working for a purpose
The Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago forms visionary leaders for a Public Church. Its students come from all parts of the United States and from around the world to study in one of six graduate degree programs. LSTC is a seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It seeks to work for a world of peace and justice that cares for the whole creation. LSTC is located in the beautiful Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. Join our team of employees committed to serving through the ministry of our school. More at www.lstc.edu.
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance, the Controller is responsible for accurately and efficiently driving mission through numbers, systems and people. Applicants should have the capacity to handle multiple projects simultaneously, be an independent self-starter, and must exhibit a high degree of intercultural competency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain cordial, professional, and service-oriented relations with the LSTC community
- Support the Vice President for Finance in a liaison role with the Board of Directors, committees of the Board of Directors, and the Foundation Board of Trustees
Financial Reporting and Control
- Oversee a timely monthly close process
- Ensure accounting for transactions in general ledger is complete, accurate, and timely
- Work cross-functionally with departments in all areas including financial and project reporting
- Prepare and/or review balance sheet and income statement reconciliations
- Prepare monthly financial statements and variance analysis
- Manage accounting for temporarily restricted assets and releases from restriction
- Maintain accurate endowment accounting and fixed assets
- Work with the Vice President for Finance in creating the budget
- Maintain skill level with the LSTC IT systems
- Establish and maintain adequate internal controls and create/maintain updated policies and procedures
- Maintain records of leases and contracts
- Responsible for IPED and Department of Education reporting
Financial Statements Audit
- Responsible for the timely preparation for all audit work papers, schedules, financial statements, and notes required for the annual financial statements audit
Finance Office Management
- Supervise the Staff Accountant and student workers in addition to working in conjunction with the Accounting Coordinator (supervised by the Vice President for Finance)
- Serve as backup for vital functions such as cash application, billing, and payables processing
- Actively identify process and system improvements and implementation of improvement initiatives
- Take on responsibility and completion of special projects as assigned and identify special projects that will benefit the institution and the department
- Take the lead with research, testing and procurement of technology solutions to maximize effectiveness and efficiency of accounting, reporting, budgeting, financial planning and analysis processes
Interested applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance with at least 8 years of professional experience in related fields, including at least 2 years of supervisory experience. Higher education and/or not-for-profit accounting experience is preferred. This position requires advanced skills in accounting systems, Excel and financial audits. Candidates with Blackbaud Financial Edge experience and CPA certification are preferred. Exceptional communication, work ethic, and attention to detail are essential. Applicants should have the capacity to handle multiple projects simultaneously, be an independent self-starter and must exhibit a high degree of intercultural competency. LSTC is committed to diversity. Women and/or persons from historically underrepresented cultural groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Please submit a letter of interest that includes: a) your reasons for applying, b) your work experience as a Controller in higher education and/or the not-for-profit sector, and c) your ideal workplace environment and atmosphere. Email your resume and letter of application to: email@example.com.