Director of Strategic Marketing & Communications
Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, the Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications is a full-time, salaried position who provides leadership in key areas, including: strategic marketing for advancement and admissions, trend identification, market data analysis, developing new channels of marketing and communication, and brand and values integrity. The Director will lead the marketing team and activities for LSTC and will work closely with the Director of Philanthropic Engagement, the Director of Advancement Operations, and the Director of Admissions to develop and lead key initiatives. This includes creation and execution of marketing campaigns, strategic plans, identification and launch of business development offerings to internal and external constituencies, and cost savings initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead strategic marketing, including:
- Lead marketing/communications team to identify, implement, and measure the marketing activities that maximize fundraising, including donations, student enrollment, and alumni engagement.
- Effectively tell, and increase awareness of, the LSTC brand story to internal and external audiences
- Develop and lead sustainable, disciplined market research processes and practices, to include:
- Competitive research / trend identification
- Market segmentation
- Consumer/stakeholder research (primary and secondary)
- Behavior modeling research
- Database management
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Develop and lead local and national marketing campaigns to deliver measurable increases in:
- Student applications and awareness
- Donor awareness and gift-giving
- Staff, train, develop and ensure performance execution of marketing / communications team
- Lead change and coach / mentor team members
- Develop external marketing communication plan
- Support internal communication of key marketing and LSTC messaging
- Be the creative catalyst for multi-channel marketing efforts and bringing fresh growth ideas to LSTC
- Collaborate with internal constituencies
- Bring leading practices to the LSTC
- Be creative with new ideas
- Complete all other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Advancement or their designee
Best suited applicants will have a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in leadership, omni-channel marketing and CRM management. Strong written and verbal communication skills required. It will be necessary to be a team player who can lead. Knowledge of the ELCA and ELCA institutions could be beneficial, and experience in a seminary, higher-education, nonprofit, or church-related environment would be an asset. The successful candidate will have the ability to work occasional hours on evenings and weekends. LSTC is committed to diversity. Women and/or persons from historically underrepresented cultural groups are encouraged to apply. LSTC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.
Profile of the Seminary
The Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago forms visionary leaders to bear witness to the good news of Jesus Christ. Its students come from all parts of the United States and from around the world to study in one of six graduate degree programs. LSTC is a seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It seeks to build up the Body of Christ and work for a world of peace and justice that cares for the whole creation. LSTC is located in the beautiful Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago. Join our team of employees committed to serving through the ministry of our school. More at www.lstc.edu.
Please submit a letter of interest that includes: a) your reasons for applying, b) your work experience relevant to the director of strategic marketing and communications position, and c) a short description of how you connect to LSTC’s mission. Email your résumé and letter of interest to: email@example.com.