Are you called into the world?
Study in the city—prepare for ministry in the world. The Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, nestled in the eclectic neighborhood of Hyde Park, is known for its excellence in equipping visionary leaders to serve the public church. We believe the best way to prepare leaders to serve in a diverse world is to tap into the resources and relationships offered by a lively city.Learn More
Leaders of Leaders
Our superior faculty provides a sound theological education, and invites students to tackle difficult questions and tough ethical issues. LSTC values both its Lutheran heritage and its commitment to shaping forward-thinking leaders who bear the good news of Jesus Christ to the communities to which God calls them.Meet our faculty
Affordable and Accessible
Financing a seminary education can be a challenge. We’ll work with you one-on-one to tap into generous donations and partnerships with organizations and foundations to find you scholarships and grants.Learn More
Hyde Park, a popular neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side, is ethnically and economically diverse. Student housing is just across the street from the seminary, and all the perks of a large city are within blocks: shops, museums, restaurants, public transportation, and beautiful Lake Michigan. The University of Chicago, located nearby, shares its world-class library and its social and cultural life with seminary students.Learn More
- April 25, 11:45 a.m. James Kenneth Echols Prize for Excellence in Preaching Hear the finalists in the annual “preach off” for the James Kenneth Echols Prize for Excellence in Preaching.
- April 28, 4 p.m. 31st Annual Gospel Choir Benefit Concert This year’s concert, “O, Taste and See,” features guests Amanda Straw and Poe Classical School Raven Ensemble along with the LSTC Gospel Choir led by Dr. Keith Hampton. The concert is free, but an offering will be gathered to support the Grover Wright and Rev. Carole A. Burns Scholarships.
- May 7, 12:15 p.m. Manz Organ Series Recital Enjoy a free lunchtime recital in the Augustana Chapel at LSTC.
- May 18, 4 p.m. Baccalaureate Worship, Augustana Chapel at LSTC The Rev. Dr. Kathleen D. Billman, preacher; the Rev. Dr. Benjamin Stewart, presider
- May 19, 2:30 p.m. Commencement Ceremony The commencement ceremony for LSTC’s 159th academic year will be held at St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church, 5472 S. Kimbark Ave., Chicago. The Rev. Dr. Stephen G. Ray Jr., president of Chicago Theological Seminary will deliver the commencement address.
- May 31-June 1 20th Biennial Bonhoeffer Lectures in Public Ethics: “Advocacy and Resistance in a Divided Time” Co-sponsored by McCormick Theological Seminary and LSTC, this conference features keynote speakers the Rev. Dr. William J. Barber and Rev. Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove. Drawing on their extensive experience building movements for social change, these speakers will address the pressing issues of our diverse communities, calling us to the work of advocacy and resistance. In order to address these concerns locally, this conference uniquely places Chicago organizations working for justice alongside leading scholars making constructive use of the theology of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Register here.