Are you called into the world?
Study in the city—prepare for ministry in the world. The Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, nestled in the eclectic neighborhood of Hyde Park, is known for its excellence in equipping visionary leaders to serve the public church. We believe the best way to prepare leaders to serve in a diverse world is to tap into the resources and relationships offered by a lively city.Learn More
Leaders of Leaders
Our superior faculty provides a sound theological education, and invites students to tackle difficult questions and tough ethical issues. LSTC values both its Lutheran heritage and its commitment to shaping forward-thinking leaders who bear the good news of Jesus Christ to the communities to which God calls them.Meet our faculty
Affordable and Accessible
Financing a seminary education can be a challenge. We’ll work with you one-on-one to tap into generous donations and partnerships with organizations and foundations to find you scholarships and grants.Learn More
Hyde Park, a popular neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side, is ethnically and economically diverse. Student housing is just across the street from the seminary, and all the perks of a large city are within blocks: shops, museums, restaurants, public transportation, and beautiful Lake Michigan. The University of Chicago, located nearby, shares its world-class library and its social and cultural life with seminary students.Learn More
- February 1-29, 2020 CELEBRATING BLACKNESS IN WHITE SPACES – BLACK HISTORY MONTH AT LSTC Events, worship and a month-long art exhibit. See the full schedule.
- FEBRUARY 4, 2020, 12;15-12:45 P.M. MANZ ORGAN RECITAL This free lunchtime recital features renowned local organists on the Ruth and Paul Manz Organ in the Augustana Chapel at LSTC.
- FEBRUARY 5, 2020, 11:15 A.M. BLACK HISTORY MONTH OPENING WORSHIP – BISHOP YEHIEL CURRY, PREACHER In the Augustana Chapel at LSTC
- FEBRUARY 10, 2020, 5:00 P.M. “CELEBRATING BLACK PRESENCE IN WHITE-DOMINATED SPACES” Panel discussion moderated by Dr. Marvin Wickware Jr., LSTC assistant professor of church and society and ethics
- FEBRUARY 12, 2020, 9:30 A.M. – 5:30 P.M. A CELEBRATION OF WORD AND SERVICE AND OTHER SPECIALIZED MINISTRIES A day of activities highlighting the stories of LSTC alums serving as deacons or in public ministries with or without consecration/ordination. Contact Dr. Kadi Billman for more information.
- FEBRUARY 19, 2020, 1:00 P.M. LECTURE ON THE HISTORY OF BLACK ART Learn about the history of Black art and the art included in the special exhibit at LSTC from Gallery Guichard in Chicago’s Bronzeville neighborhood.
- FEBRUARY 20, 2020, 6:30 P.M. THE HISTORY AND LEGACY OF BLACK MUSIC – A JOURNEY THROUGH GOSPEL AND JAZZ Dr. Keith Hampton, cantor to the LSTC community, and Professor Roxanne Stevenson, Chicago State University, presenters
- FEBRUARY 22-24, 2020 SEMINARY SAMPLER Meet faculty, students and others discerning a call to attend seminary as you sit in on classes and get to see what life is like at LSTC. Register here [link]
- FEBRUARY 22, 2020, 10:00 A.M. – 2:00 P.M. COMMUNITY HEALTH AND RESOURCE FAIR Conversations on issues in Black health, free health screenings and more
- FEBRUARY 28, 2020 1:00-2:45 P.M. “THE PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE OF BLACK LEADERSHIP IN THE LUTHERAN CHURCH” Panel discussion with Pastor Lenny Duncan
- FEBRUARY 28, 2020, 1:00-4:00 P.M. LEADERSHIP A workshop for area clergy led by Dave Daubert, Day8 Strategies (afternoon session of Ministry of Administration course)
- FEBRUARY 28, 2020 6:30-7:45 P.M. REJOICING IN BLACKNESS! An evening of worship music, dance and words of inspiration featuring Pastor Lenny Duncan and other special guests