To complete any of the PDF-fillable forms, please use only the free Adobe Reader
Check out our blog by LSTC students.
Read a new "Taste and See" post frequently from campus or from far-away interns.
Apply for Admission
- Fill out and submit application form. Please use only the free Adobe Reader http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html
- Write and submit autobiographical statement
Instructions: (typed, approx. 800-1000 words in electronic document file) describing:
1. The significant events of your life, your faith, your relationship to the church
Who and what in your life has led you to this moment?
2. An assessment of your strengths and growth areas
What will you bring to the seminary community and what do you hope to learn?
3. A description of why you decided to attend seminary, particularly LSTC
What is your calling and what are your hopes about what comes next?
[Please note that if you are in the ELCA Candidacy Process, you may submit your Candidacy Essay as your autobiographical statement. Be certain that you have addressed the above questions].
- Submit transcript of undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate program(s).
- Provide three letters of recommendation from 1) your pastor, 2) a teacher, 3) your employer/supervisor.
- $50 applicatioon fee is waived.
- Please note: If your program requires field placements, a background check will need to be completed before placement. A copy of a recent background check from the ELCA Candidacy process, or other church body rostering process, can be submitted, or you will be required to pay for and complete a background check before beginning your field placement.
Requirements for Application
The Admissions Committee uses the following criteria for admission. Applicants must:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. The standard of academic performance is a "B" average (3.0 on a 4.0 scale). The Admissions Committee considers other factors such as patterns of progress in the applicant's academic history, difficulty of the undergraduate program and standards of the school attended, letters of reference, success in other graduate programs, and performance in an applicant's career.
- Demonstrate social and relational maturity, emotional and spiritual health, and express a personal and social moral conscience. A pre-admission interview may be required to assist in determining this criterion.
- Indicate previous and current participation in the life of the church. Lutheran applicants who are seeking a rostered position in the ELCA will be members in good standing of a Lutheran congregation for at least one year as required by the ELCA candidacy process.
- Express vocational clarity and a theological understanding of vocation, mainly in the required biographical essay but also in a pre-admission interview, if needed.
LSTC does not have an application deadline for admission. We recommend that interested persons should apply nine to twelve months before the academic year in which they wish to begin study. The Admissions Committee meets once a month to consider completed applications. Admission is offered based on a majority vote within the committee. Applicants will be notified within two weeks of the committee's decision.