Ruth & Paul Manz Organ Scholarship
Organ students are encouraged to apply for the 2013 Ruth and Paul Manz Organ Scholarship. This scholarship was established by Mount Olive Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, to honor the contributions of both Paul and Ruth Manz to the congregation over the 37 years of their service there.
This annual scholarship is a testimony to the witness of Paul and Ruth Manz to Jesus Christ through the ministry of music and many other expressions of their faith and commitment to Jesus Christ and His Church. The scholarship is intended to be an encouragement to organ students who are preparing for careers as church musicians. The winner will receive $3,000.00.
- Applicants must not have reached their 28th birthday by January 1, 2013.
- Applicants must submit the application form, two letters of recommendation, and an unedited cassette tape or compact disc to:
Ruth and Paul Manz Scholarship
c/o Karen Bartz
House of Prayer Lutheran Church
7625 Chicago Avenue South
Richfield, MN 55423
All materials must be postmarked no later than July 1, 2013.
- The cassette tape or compact disc shall include:
- a major prelude and fugue of J. S. Bach;
- a shorter Romantic work from Vierne, Dupre, Langlais, Widor or Peeters;
- a short contemporary American work;
- a varied accompaniment on the hymn, ELW #543, Go, My Children, with My Blessing, Tune: Ar Hyd Y Nos., and;
- an improvisation (introduction) on the same hymn.
- The tape cassette or compact disc used must be of the highest quality designed for recording music and must contain an unedited performance.
- Please include information about the organ played for the recording (builder, date, number of ranks) and the place of the recording.
Friends may also make gifts to fund this scholarship directly online. In the Gift Purpose section at the bottom of the form, please enter the purpose of your gift to be "Ruth and Paul Manz Scholarship Fund."
Those with questions about this program may also contact the President's Office of the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago at 773-256-0728 or at this address:
Assistant to the President
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago