Nine varied musical programs make up the first year of a new music series at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago. The series combines sacred and secular, classical repertoire and contemporary compositions. Times and admissions costs vary. Check detailed program listings at www.lstc.edu for information.
The season begins November 6 at 4 p.m. with a secular concert by the Murasaki Duo from Luther College in Decorah, Iowa. Miko Kominami, piano, and Eric Kutz, cello, will play Beethoven's Sonata No. 2 in G minor, Chopin's Polonaise Brillante, and Poulenc's Sonate. Kutz is an assistant professor of music at Luther College and member of the Grant Park Symphony. Suggested donation for the concert is $15 for adults, $10 for students and seniors.
The series runs from November through April, and includes:
- An organ recital by 2005 Manz Scholarship winner, Andrew Kotylo on November 20 at 4 p.m. A freewill offering will be collected to benefit the Ruth and Paul Manz Scholarship Fund.
- Advent Lessons and Carols on December 2 at 6:30 p.m. A freewill offering will be collected.
- Bach for the Sem concert at St. Luke Lutheran Church (on Belmont Ave.) on January 8 at 4 p.m. Tickets for adults are $13 in advance and $15 at the door; for students and seniors the cost is $6 in advance and $8 at the door. For ticket information call 773-256-0712.
- Augustana (Sioux Falls) College Choir on January 31 at 7:00 p.m. A freewill offering will be collected.
- "Sounding the Sacred 2", a concert by CUBE (Chicago Composers and Contemporary Music Ensemble) on February 19 at 4:00 p.m. Tickets required.
- Lenten Hymn Festival on March 5 at 4:00 p.m. A freewill offering will be collected.
- "Music for Organ and Brass," a concert jointly sponsored with Mostly Music of Northeastern Illinois University, featuring Daniel Schwandt as organist, on April 2, at 4:00 p.m. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for students.
- LSTC Gospel Choir Concert on April 23 at 4:00 p.m. (tickets required)
Details about each program and ticket information, where applicable, will be available to the public several weeks prior to each concert.